Re: [opensuse] WD Green AV HD: rsync read errors mapping
On 02/09/17 06:01 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Yes, it is very slow to run.

Yes, but that seems excessive to me.

I realise that there are a number of tunable parameters to the 'badblocks'
command, such as the block size.
And yes, if you have a 4K physical then setting the block size to 4k rather than
its default 1K will probably help. Certainly on drives over 2T.

But are there any faster methods? What does SMART have to offer?
Surely by now the vendors will have found a use for all that cheap memory and
cpu power they have on the embedded controller boards ???

- one revolution of the disk to write a test pastern to the complete track of
every platter
- the next revolution to read it back, verifying on the fly 'cos the CPU is
so much faster than the disk
- the next revolution to write a different pattern
- step and repeat though the pattern set
- now go to the next track

Of course it is a destructive test, but we knew that to start with.