Re: [opensuse] WD Green AV HD: rsync read errors mapping
On 02/09/17 22:59, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 02/09/17 06:01 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-09-02 03:03, Felix Miata wrote:
Greg Freemyer composed on 2017-09-01 20:13 (UTC-0400):

this is already way offtopic,
Seriously.

Back to topic:

Badblocks on the WD Green AV HD has reached 13.60% completion with (0/0/0
errors) in 15:59:30. :-(
Yes, it is very slow to run.
Less than 1%/hour, apparently.
That's a 2T drive, isn't it?
[pruned]

Now THIS is interesting
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q2-2016/
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-stats-q2-2017/
There seem to be some reliable 4T drives out there and the trend
with 8T is looking good. Still, a RAID6 with 8T drives is a bit
large for a home setting :-)

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/cloud-online-backup/how-long-do-hard-drives-last/

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/marketing-strategies/is-data-backup-really-that-important-78421

I have a colleague/developer whose home system is set up to run continuous
backup of him /home-equivalent (he's a Windows user and I'm not sure what the
terminology is) to a USB portable drive-of-notable-size for each of his
machines. He told me once that the 'backup' drives were less reliable than
his
main drive!

I found that ironic. He couldn't understand why I was laughing.

What I found to be strange is why do Backblaze keep buying/installing
Seagate drives when they have such a high failure rate (according to
their own statistics)? It's like repeatedly watching the same movie
hoping that it would have a different ending.

BC

--
You are NOT entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your
INFORMED opinion. Nobody is entitled to be ignorant.