Re: [opensuse] WD Green AV HD: rsync read errors mapping
On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 08:59:16 -0400
Anton Aylward <opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 02/09/17 06:01 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-09-02 03:03, Felix Miata wrote:
Greg Freemyer composed on 2017-09-01 20:13 (UTC-0400):

this is already way offtopic,

Seriously.

Back to topic:

Badblocks on the WD Green AV HD has reached 13.60% completion with
(0/0/0 errors) in 15:59:30. :-(

Yes, it is very slow to run.

Less than 1%/hour, apparently.
That's a 2T drive, isn't it?

${DEITY} help us when we have to check out the half dozen or so 4T
drives for a RAID array!

I'm back to thinking that a RAID array, a HIGHLY redundant, HIGHLY
striped, full 64-bit wide+Hamming dual error detection, (72,64) of
smaller drives, say 350G, might make more sense. What? Failure
rates? Oh, right, yes.

Now THIS is interesting
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-rates-q2-2016/
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-failure-stats-q2-2017/
There seem to be some reliable 4T drives out there and the trend
with 8T is looking good. Still, a RAID6 with 8T drives is a bit
large for a home setting :-)

Really interesting links, thanks. My prejudice is to never buy WDC or
Seagate and to buy HGST when I can, so it's good to have some
confirmation.

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/cloud-online-backup/how-long-do-hard-drives-last/

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/marketing-strategies/is-data-backup-really-that-important-78421

I have a colleague/developer whose home system is set up to run
continuous backup of him /home-equivalent (he's a Windows user and
I'm not sure what the terminology is) to a USB portable
drive-of-notable-size for each of his machines. He told me once
that the 'backup' drives were less reliable than his main drive!

I found that ironic. He couldn't understand why I was laughing.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp645.pdf
https://www.google.com/patents/US3656109
https://github.com/sultanqasim/hamming_7264_secded