Re: [opensuse] root login to kde 4 - why
On 2017-09-01 16:18, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
On 2017-09-01 00:57, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
ps: using a gui is much more questionable than the method of access.

It has advantages, in my view.

First, I refuse to work in text mode. In GUI I can have several
terminals and copy paste commands, see logs flowing by, read manuals,
etc, all in the same display.

Yes, I can use a user GUI, then start several xterms as root, but that
/may/ need typing the password several times, which is a nuisance.

Nonsense. Start a new xterm from one that's started as root and the next one
runs as root as well

Then I may need to start GUI tools, like for instance, gparted. I need
them to run as root, so again, password. This is another nuisance.

Yes, all this nuisance was made by design. To protect the system from user
actions.

The design allows root to login as root. The OP explained why it did not
work as designed initially.

It is not the same thing needing to do some admin tasks, that needing to
do many admin tasks, all needing run as root.

YaST, Carlos. There's not much YaST cannot do.

There are many other needed tools.

I also want all this activity to go to the /root directory, not to /home
directory - which remember, is *not mounted*.

The dangers are the same if I work in a root session or a user session,
then starting everything as root anyway. A user error in any of them can
be fatal, regardless of session ID.

Lastly, you will not win new blood to Linux if you tell them that they
can't login as admin to do admin work. They do this all the time in Windows.

Yes, "they" do everything as admin in Windows. To prevent having to type a
password. Sigh, sigh, sigh. Security flaw number one. That's why Windows
users
are screwed completely and immediately when they meet nasty things on the
web.

Many use user sessions, too.

Then again, it's your system, go ahead. But please, please, please DO NOT
suggest this to others.

I did not suggest anything, but I'm sorry, I disagree in this.

Also remember: there is no /home filesystem in the OP.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

List Navigation