Re: [opensuse] Backup, archive or what, using the same tools
On 31/08/17 16:36, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-08-31 17:29, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 31/08/17 10:36 AM, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
IMO ( dutch "archief" isn't completely the same as the american "archive" )
the thread is going in a language based direction.
I've read an number of articles that claim there is a difference between a
backup and an archive, using the english-language meanings.

When stripped of all the frippery the difference comes down to this:

A backup is taken regularly, has a limited lifetime and is optimized for a
quick
restore.

An archive is intended for a long lifetime.

An archive is an structured file that contains files.

That's the computer jargon meaning, not the English Language meaning. So
yes, it seems clear that we are moving towards an argument over "what
does this word mean".

Archives existed long before computers (well, the mechanical variety, at
least). Archaeologists have discovered a fair few prehistoric archives :-)

Cheers,
Wol