Re: [opensuse] Tape Drive Trouble
On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 4:23 PM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 08/31/2017 12:25 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
I personally have never put more than 1 SE tape drive on a SCSI cable.
Purely by chance, whenever I had numerous SCSI tape drives hooked up,
I put the drives in external enclosures with their own PSU and used
differential signaling.

The external enclosures we used ONLY supplied external power.
As far as data cables, they were dumb as rocks, and everything was
on the single SCSI cable. We had two tape drives and two disk drives
in the external.

I don't remember ever making any change to signaling.

It seems all the newer SCSI versions are differential:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_SCSI#Comparison_table

All the SE (single ended) specs are 40MB/sec or slower.

The Ultra-2 version is differential and it was introduced in 1997.

So, there's a good chance you were using differential signalling even
if you didn't know it.

Greg