Re: [opensuse] root login to kde 4 - why
* Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [08-31-17 19:45]:
On 2017-09-01 00:57, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
ps: using a gui is much more questionable than the method of access.

It has advantages, in my view.

First, I refuse to work in text mode. In GUI I can have several
terminals and copy paste commands, see logs flowing by, read manuals,
etc, all in the same display.

Yes, I can use a user GUI, then start several xterms as root, but that
/may/ need typing the password several times, which is a nuisance.

Then I may need to start GUI tools, like for instance, gparted. I need
them to run as root, so again, password. This is another nuisance.

It is not the same thing needing to do some admin tasks, that needing to
do many admin tasks, all needing run as root.

I also want all this activity to go to the /root directory, not to /home
directory - which remember, is *not mounted*.

The dangers are the same if I work in a root session or a user session,
then starting everything as root anyway. A user error in any of them can
be fatal, regardless of session ID.

Lastly, you will not win new blood to Linux if you tell them that they
can't login as admin to do admin work. They do this all the time in Windows.

ever hear of screen or tmux.