Re: [opensuse] ubuntu reports probs w/new sysd DNS service...is this going to hit openSUSE?
On 29/06/17 01:54 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
The key is you don't have to use it.

Indeed.

While the initial justification for systemd replacing (much of) SysVInit made
sense, Linda has a point when she says that the developers are on a roll now
trying to consume subsystems that operate perfectly well.

The issue isn't that here is a regular Bind9 and corresponding DHCP but there
are alternatives as well. This is FOSS. I've used Bing9. Somewhere out there
on a backup is the config (though why it couldn't be in /etc/ I don't know), but
right now I run DNSMASQ. YMMV.

Is DNSMASQ 'non standard'?
Well, that's arguable. It doesn't use the Bind9 config files and while it can
comnsume /etc/resolv.conf and/etc/hosts in the same way that I expect the
systemd version will via transformation to unit files the way it does /etc/fstab
at present, it has never tried taking over anything else.

The thing about systemd, as David points out, is that it's compartmentalized.

I may _start_ DNSMASQ (asynchronously but with dependencies) using a systemd
unit file just like I start APACHE (my web server of choice among the many
available) using a systemd unit file.

But all that is start-up. I'm not using systemd itself as a web server.

Could I? I'd be interested in finding out, perhaps experimenting ...