Re: [opensuse] Mapping and re-mapping Keyboard Keys
On Wednesday, 28 June 2017 0:53:52 ACST Paul Groves wrote:
[...]
Bear in mind that debian/Ubuntu has now moved to systemd, and sysvinit is
now deprecated (although lots of packages still use init scripts).
Instead of writing an init script, you could write a systemd unit file
and have systemd execute the script. The final result should be the same,
but you’re “future proofing” it by not relying on a deprecated subsystem.

HTH.
Rodney.

Perfect! I found this using your advice

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/47695/how-to-write-startup-script-f
or-systemd#47715

I made the file /etc/systemd/system/ tinykb9805.service (below) which
runs my script (has to be executable)

then I ran systemctl enable tinykb9805.service
then I ran systemctl start tinykb9805.service

and it works! Even after reboot :)

File:

[Unit]
Description=Re-map the Tiny KB-9805 PS/2 Keyboard Hotkeys

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/home/paul/ownCloud/bin/tinykb9805_map.sh

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

Now all of my hotkeys are working fine!

Thanks for all the help everyone.

One annoyance though is the scroll lock LED does not work. I will start
a new thread for this.

Good job! Glad you got it working. The nice thing is that the systemd approach
will be portable across systemd-based distros (which should be pretty much all
of them soon), so the same solution should work on openSuSE as it does on
Ubuntu.

And, yes, this list is better. :)