Re: [opensuse] Re: Use of "Reply-To" by author is author's choice; is problem if done by list-software
On 2017-06-24 21:55, L A Walsh wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
And some, like Greg or Linda, want that duplicate :-)
I can not remember who wants what, so I ignore that and send only to the
list for everybody, sorry.

---
It's simple. If you want the person to see it, reply-ALL
if you are only replying to the list and not the person, then
reply-list.

But the rule on this list is to reply only to the list, never to both:
Official FAQ, 2013:

+++......
Q1. Why do my replies go to the original poster and not the list?
A1. We do not "munge" the mail headers by inserting
a "Reply-To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx"
because it makes it more difficult subscribers to handle the mail
the way they want to. Your mail client probably has a "reply"
function as well as a "reply to all" or "reply to list" one; Please
use the latter if you want you message to go to the list and not
just to the original poster.

Also, please don't complain about this on the list, it has
been discussed many, many, many times in the past already.

For background information see e.g.
......++-

I checked the 2002 version and it is the same thing.

Some people in this list get very angry if they receive two posts, one
on the list and one copy direct.

I can't speak for Greg, but **honestly**,
do you really think that that the list is me or
that I am the list? I rarely have people confuse
me with the list, but if you do, my sympathies.

I.e. you don't need to remember who wants what -- just remember
who you are replying to and whether or not you want your
response to also goto the list. If so, reply, all. If
you don't want it to goto the list, just hist "Reply".

No, you are different. You want also a copy sent to you direct. An
exception to the rule.

Anyway, sending a duplicate breaks gmail handling, because they have an
automatic and non optional rule that deletes the duplicate post, which
willl always be be list post, being slower than the direct post.

You can't turn that off? That seems like an option that would break
threading as well as corrupting your incoming mail stream. Ug.
I can't believe google wouldn't make that a choice.

I said "not optional", so no, you can not turn it off.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.