Re: [opensuse] Compartmentalization for list message management
On 06/23/2017 04:52 PM, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 7:40 PM, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I don't know how to resolve that as it has been a few years since I
worked with Thunderbird/Gmail.

For Thunderbird it is probably best to retrieve all and sort locally. In
fact, trying to open my "opensuse" label takes ages.

I suspect I use too many different computers during the course of the
day for that to work smoothly.

I can think of 6 I might access email from on any given day.

Greg
--

Not to mention a few cellular devices, which could neither sort nor hold
all of that mail.

The labels vs folders thing is just a conceptual issue. I suspect its just a
huge database play, and the sorting and tagging is just a byte flag
set in some BigTable database with a pointer to where the mail actually
sits.

Doesn't matter though, because any Imap client sees it as folders, and you
can do all your operations on it as if it were folders. They (google)
handle all the labels, your software is none the wiser.

And the imap idled is supported such that you can get notifications the instant
any folder gets mail. (Can you imagine the sheer number of sockets they
must hold open to support idled for millions and millions of gmail users
all working via cell phones!!!)

The sorting therefore is not needed at the client. Anyone downloading it all
and sorting, tagging, etc locally is just doing it wrong. Its not 1985 any
more guys. Stop that.