Re: [opensuse] Use of "Reply-To" by author is author's choice; is problem if done by list-software
L A Walsh composed on 2017-06-23 14:35 (UTC-0700):
.
Felix Miata wrote:
.
L A Walsh composed on 2017-06-23 10:34 (UTC-0700):
The default is to always send a copy to the person you are replying
to. That default is *required* by email "standards" (RFC's).
.
For what definition of "person"? The sender of a list message that came by
way
of the list is the list. But for (without which) having subscribed to the
list,
I would not get messages composed by list subscribers using the list as
exclusive destination address. Logic requires the destination resulting from
using a reply button to be the list from whence it came, not the originator
of
the message's content.
---
Good response, however,
.
Without the originator of the message's content, there would be
no list.
.
You can't have one w/o the other,.

True, but the list is the the last stop before arrival here.

It's a public discussion list. Peer review keeps quality up, which necessitates
most replies be public.
.
so you honor both with a
reply -- the default when you hit 'Reply-All
.
One can please some of the people some of the time. Those complaining the
loudest seem to be those who will not cope with duplicate copies of the same
post. I can't remember names most of the time, much less which name prefers how
many copies show up in her mailbox if I reply, or all among 70+ subscriptions
automatically direct responses where. The only list posts that bother me more
than nominally are those with attribution stripped. We can only play the cards
we are dealt.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/