Re: [opensuse] konsole
* Dave Plater <dplater.list@xxxxxxxxx> [06-23-17 03:11]:

On 22/06/2017 18:14, Anton Aylward wrote:
Never?
Not in any of the times you've used 'su"?
su asks for the password, konsole is the terminal app. it doesn't ask for
passwords as wol implies.

picking hairs. you *are* asked for a password when you "su" within
konsole?

Picking another hair.

It is possible, in a number of ways, to start konsole with a root shell and only
the one tab containing that root shell.

So it would look like konsole is asking for the password.
"Under the hood", you, I and probably Per knows that it's not actually konsole
doing the asking but the root shell process being started from a non-root
environment.

That's not to say that with suitable poking around, for example with PAM,
/etc/groups and other config files, passwords can be bypassed, but that's quite
another matter.

Yes, I've done that, just to prove I can. But as I keep saying, having a
machine where one can, ANYONE CAN, get root level access without a password is
an exceeding bad idea. Yes, it's like running Windows/XP.