Re: [opensuse] Re: Use of "Reply-To" by author is author's choice; is problem if done by list-software
On 23/06/17 05:45 AM, L A Walsh wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-06-18 21:32, Anton Aylward wrote:

Yes, but there are a lot more people who (a) make a mistake and hit
'reply-to' rather than 'reply-to-list', and (b) it seems there's software
that doesn't have a working 'reply-to-list' function.

But with your/Linda change, a private reply goes to the list, which is
worse.

----
Not really -- if you are sending doo doo to a person, why not do it
in public? I'm a firm believer that such is a form of instant karma. ;-)

Well, yes, there is that.
IIR Napoleon commended purging oneself of such .... but he also recommended not
using the "Send" button. As, I'm sure' many people will tell you,
technological advancement has taken civil discourse downhill since then. One
only needs to read Twitter or Facebook for evidence. Look what happened to
USENET.

The problem comes when the *list* software "munges" the "Reply-To"
field for everyone. That's where a danger can come in, since the
"Reply-To" field gets messed-with for *everyone* -- even if the sender
preferred your response to goto the list.

Are we having this discussion again?
I suppose we must, periodically, for the elucidation of the newcomers.

What Anton is saying, 'generally(**)', is "please send responses to
my list-email, TO the list, I don't want them sent, "personally", to me.
That is his right.

** - where I think there could be a problem, is if Anton has the "Reply-To"
field set to "opensuse(at)opensuse.org" for every email coming from
his "opensuse" account (at) HIS.domain, and then uses that email setting
to send an email "off list". In that case, replying to him, personally,
the list), would, *surprisingly*, be directed to the
opensuse(at)opensuse.org list.

It actually requires a double-error.
The first error is on my part, when I fail to remove the 'default' reply-to for
off-list communication. many reasons for that, lack of coffee being the most
common.

At this point there is not a problem.
The problem arises if and only if the second error occurs.
The second error is where the respondent presses 'send' without altering the
'To: " field, that may also be for somnambulist reasons.

As we all know, most computer errors are the responsibility of humans.
Its humans, not turtles, all the way down.