Re: [opensuse] konsole
On 22/06/17 08:43 AM, Dave Plater wrote:
I've never had use for su apart from just switching users, I use it every
time I start my computer in konsole to have my first tab as root in the same
directory as my last session, my rpmbuild directory.

Remarkable!
You really don't know how to use konsole then?

If I wanted that I'd create a template with that ID and that directory

menu: Settings -> Manage profiles -> New profile -> General

Set a 'name', set the command to 'su' if you insist, but you're probably better
off with "su -" for consistency and more, and set the initial directory.

When you Ctl-Shift-T for a new tab this will now be an option.

if you instantiate it, and do a proper shutdown, console will remember not only
what tabs you had open but the directories you were in. I make great use of
that, but then I don't keep firing up "su" in my user tab, I make use of the
"ctl-shift-T" to get a new root tab.

of course you could also use
Menu: Setting -> Change profile.

I suggest you experiment a bit with what konsole already offers.

Firefox, thunderbird, konsole, okular, kwrite and midnight commander are my
most important applications and if something goes wrong konsole and mc are
very important. I'm addicted to the mouse and selecting, scrolling and
pasting.

Apart fro MC, the same here. I use Konqeror/Dolphin as my file management. I
keep within KDE/Qt?Gtk except when I do a complete command line, which is
usually a 'find', or 'grep'.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, I do explore the capability of the programs I use,
work through what's on the menu, the popups, the different mouse button on
different regions.

If, as is the case with root tabs, the capability is there, then I exercise it.
I might set up a key alias for it.