Re: [opensuse] Re: Where is default browser set? (& hope no one is logged in via WiFi)
On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 13:59:53 -0700
John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 06/20/2017 01:25 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-06-20 20:18, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink wrote:
On 2017-06-20 19:02, John Andersen wrote:
On 06/19/2017 03:48 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Interesting.

I think that if you fire up firefox from inside ssh, it tries
to run Firefox of the client machine, thus avoiding that B/W
problem.

Carlos, I know you know better, so I'm assuming you somehow
tangled uo that sentence. What was it you REALLY wanted to say.

I think you got two concepts conflated.

No, I did not.

ssh client is the (local) machine, where you sit.
ssh server is the other (remote) machine where firefox runs.

X Server is the (local) machine, where you sit.
X Client is the other (remote) machine, where you launched
firefox.

No part of firefox runs on the local machine. You don't even have
to have it installed locally.

Check it yourself.

I did, and I insist: I get the local Firefox window, not the
server machine Firefox.

This is a known feature of firefox.

-Wrong, wrong, wrong. Firefox runs on the remote, X-forwarding
sends the interface to the client. Easy to check: open an ssh -X
session to the remote in one terminal window or tab, fire up
firefox, open a second ssh session in a second window/tab . Next,
run 'ps -ea| grep firefox' both locally and remotely. > Solid
proof.

You are wrong.

cer@Telcontar:~> ssh -X cer@Isengard.valinor
Last login: Mon Jun 19 19:23:03 2017 from 192.168.1.14
Have a lot of fun...
cer@Isengard:~>
cer@Isengard:~> firefox
cer@Isengard:~> ps afxu | grep -i firefox
cer 21062 0.0 0.0 9328 1556 pts/12 S+ 22:23
0:00 \_ grep --color=auto -i firefox cer@Isengard:~>
ps -ea | grep -i firefox cer@Isengard:~>
cer@Telcontar:~> ps -ea | grep -i firefox
13546 ? 01:41:10 firefox
cer@Telcontar:~>

QED.

The fact that your firefox command came immediatly back to a command
prompt should have been a clue that you are NOT executing firefox.
You've got something else in your path that starts and returns to a
command prompt.

I'm surprised that you haven't apparently tried this yourself, since
indeed /usr/bin/firefox does return immediately! It's a symlink to a
shell script that executes the binary if necessary.

Firefox also does use a running process on the local machine as Carlos
says. That's why it has the option -no-remote available which can
suppress the bahaviour and make it use a new copy. See

http://www-archive.mozilla.org/unix/remote.html

run /usr/bin/firefox in your ssh terminal,
or better yet run
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox