Re: [opensuse] Re: Where is default browser set? (& hope no one is logged in via WiFi)
On 2017-06-20 22:26, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [06-20-17 14:20]:
On 2017-06-20 19:02, John Andersen wrote:
On 06/19/2017 03:48 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Interesting.

I think that if you fire up firefox from inside ssh, it tries to run
Firefox of the client machine, thus avoiding that B/W problem.

Carlos, I know you know better, so I'm assuming you somehow tangled uo
that sentence. What was it you REALLY wanted to say.

I think you got two concepts conflated.

No, I did not.

ssh client is the (local) machine, where you sit.
ssh server is the other (remote) machine where firefox runs.

X Server is the (local) machine, where you sit.
X Client is the other (remote) machine, where you launched firefox.

No part of firefox runs on the local machine. You don't even have
to have it installed locally.

Check it yourself.

I did, and I insist: I get the local Firefox window, not the server
machine Firefox.

This is a known feature of firefox.

-Wrong, wrong, wrong. Firefox runs on the remote, X-forwarding sends the
interface to the client. Easy to check: open an ssh -X session to the remote
in one terminal window or tab, fire up firefox, open a second ssh session in
second window/tab . Next, run 'ps -ea| grep firefox' both locally and
remotely.
Solid proof.

better recheck yer woopie stick. open firefox on a remote ssh connection
and then try: file:///

Oh, I know for certain because the machines have a different home page,
so I know which firefox is running. As you say, try file:/// or
http://localhost. It is not the remote one.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.