Re: [opensuse] Tape Drive Trouble
On 20/06/17 20:23, Paul Groves wrote:
On 20/06/17 19:47, John Andersen wrote:
On 06/20/2017 11:43 AM, Paul Groves wrote:
I assume if I remove the pin from the last drive it will act as a
built in terminator?
No, that term power just supplies power for the terminator to use to
sense if the
cable has any devices installed. AFAIR, you only need ONE unit to
supply term power
and it doesn't matter which one, and having more than one unit
supplying term power is
perfectly fine.

Termination via onboard termination resistors is a different thing.

You learn something new every day! Thanks for that.

I am not sure if the terminator is at fault. I only have the one.
If it is the terminator surely it would always be the last drive with
the problem? When I connect my LTO2 drive here it works fine.

NO NO NO.

My memory of SCSI is patchy, but poor termination messes up the entire
cable. Termination is supposed to provide a stable 5V/0V signalling
channel or something like that. If the cable isn't properly terminated
you get crosstalk, floating voltages, interference - the whole gamut of
electrical misbehaviour.

Cheers,
Wol