Re: [opensuse] Tape Drive Trouble

On 20/06/17 18:14, John Andersen wrote:
How sure are you that your terminator is still good.
A failing or dodgy terminator can trigger auto-termination built into some
drives.
When I swap the drive with one of the working ones the same drive has the fault. Would that prove the terminator is OK?
(These are often jumper settings to control termination, but some models don't
have jumpers
but still auto-sense the need for termination, and still others provide no
internal termination).
These things come to bite you when you move drives after a couple years of use,
and forget.
All of my drives have the same jumper pin layout.

Left to right, Term Pwr / Reserved / SCSIID3 / SCSIID2 / SCSIID1 / SCSIID0

Obviously the 4 right-most ones are the ID number so I have IDs 0, 1, 2 and 3 for my for drives

I have no idea what reserved is but none of the drives have a jumper in that position.

I also do not know what term pwr (I assume terminator power) is for but all of the drives have this jumper set to on. I assume if I remove the pin from the last drive it will act as a built in terminator? I might be wrong about that but can anyone confirm?

All of my drives are HP. one is DAT72 and the other 3 are Storageworks Ultrium drives.