Re: [opensuse] Tape Drive Trouble
20.06.2017 19:55, Paul Groves пишет:
Hi,

I have 4 tape drives in my server and I am lately experiencing a few problems.

One night a backup failed with rmtio failed: Input output Error. I
ran it again and it worked.

This has happened more and more frequently and now the drive fails
writing every time with this error. I put the drive (Hp storageworks
Ultrium 920) in another server. It works fine.

I have just received a storageworks ultrium 1760 drive today. Same
problem is occuring.

The easiest way to make the error come up is to try mt -f /dev/st3 erase

The drive sounds like it erases the tape, then the tape is unloaded
and goes back in again automatically. Then it erases it again, then
does it again then again and again then eventually it gives up with
the message mt: /dev/st3: rmtioctl failed: Input/output error

Can anyone enlighten me, what exactly is an mt: rmtio: Input/output
error and how can I diagnose where exactly this error is occuring.

This is generic catch-all error that simply says that something went
wrong. You should have something in kernel log with actual SCSI error
seen by tape driver, it may give some hint.

I have tried disconnecting all other drives on the SCSI bus and only
connecting the one scsi drive. I have also tried a different scsi
connector on the same cable (which is where another drive that works
fine is usually connected).

I thought could this be a fault with the cable or the controller? But
why would the other 3 drives work fine? Then I thought but if the
problem is with my two drives why do they both work in another server?

I have also tried connecting one of my working drives to each SCSI
connector on the cable in turn and it works fine on every one of them,
so surely it is not the SCSI controller or cable?

Did you try to swap power cables? You did not mention it.