Re: [opensuse] konsole
On 19/06/17 11:48 AM, Wols Lists wrote:
On 19/06/17 16:37, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 19/06/17 05:47 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Running just "su" alone meremly changes your effective UID.
By default, it is to root, but could to to another user.
It does not alter HOME, SHELL, USER, LOGNAME, and PATH.
That last one is important. A real root shell expects to have /sbin &
/usr/sbin
in the PATH
HOME is also very important.

The home is not changed, so that files you write being root (or another
user) are written in the user's home. It can thus happen that config
files of the user become inaccessible to the user.

that is a very, very good point, Carlos.
"Unwanted Side Effects".

That could actually explain what is happening to me :-)

konsole spots that the config file was saved by root, and asks for the
root password so it can read it!

I'd be a little surprised if it's that clever, but it does make sense...

Don't forget that unless you've taken extraordinary measures (or are working
with a system that remember the su password for a period of time), the "su" and
"su -" will ask for a password.

So if you have a root tab being restored and you've been using the default setup
inherited into your .local or your .kde or your .kde4 (depending on how old your
system is[1]) then, yes, I'd expect it to ask for a password.

[1] The fact that neither Patrick not I can replicate your behaviour may have to
do with the fact that I'm running leap 42.1 and Patrick is running TW, where as
you're running ... what? Obviously something old if your Thunderbird and
Firefox are at "38" whereas ours are in the 50s.

Maybe its just you're running old and buggy software?