Re: [opensuse] File delete permissions.

My ISP is playing tricks on me and blocking some posts of mine.
Resending with gmail, even if late.

On 2017-06-09 06:44, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
08.06.2017 20:58, Carlos E. R. пишет:

Hi,

I'm user 'cer'. To avoid deleting by mistake some files, I changed their
ownership to another user:

cer@Isengard:~/Fusion/Videos/Crossing Jordan/Temporada 1> l p*mpeg
-rw-r--r-- 1 cer-g root 0 Jun 8 19:50 p.mpeg
-rw-r--r-- 1 cer-g root 0 Jun 8 19:50 p2.mpeg
-rw-r--r-- 1 cer-g root 0 Jun 8 19:50 p3.mpeg
-rw-r--r-- 1 cer-g root 0 Jun 8 19:50 p4.mpeg
cer@Isengard:~/Fusion/Videos/Crossing Jordan/Temporada 1> rm p.mpeg
rm: remove write-protected regular empty file 'p.mpeg'? n
cer@Isengard:~/Fusion/Videos/Crossing Jordan/Temporada 1>

See? 'rm' doubts and asks.
However, 'mc' doesn't ask and goes ahead, it happily deletes a file that
is not mine.

I thought that the 'w' permission was needed to delete a file, but no.
Is there some way I can negate user "cer" permission to delete a file?
No, not sticky, it doesn't work.

You are asking wrong question. There is no file property that would
magically cause *every program that tries to delete file* to ask you
for confirmation. This is behavior of each individual program. Either mc
can be configured to ask it or not.

You certainly can "negate permission to delete a file" as you were
already advised but then you will not able to delete file and you do not
like it either nor is it what you want.

No, the 'i' attribute is certainly what I want. It is just that applying
it is a bit cumbersome, and 'ls -l' doesn't show it; thus when I'll try
to delete a file a year from now I will not remember why.

PS: Oh, now that I remember. Did you get my private post with the
vacation sites?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.