Re: [opensuse] Re: Off Topic: using reply-to
On 2017-06-18 21:32, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 2017-06-18 16:35, Wols Lists wrote:

It would be nice, however, if the options "reply to list", "reply to
all", "reply to sender" actually did what they said on the tin.

It gets very confusing when they work correctly on some lists, they all
do "reply to list" on others, and all do "reply to sender" on yet others!

They do work on this list as long as the sender doesn't touch it.
On Thunderbird I get a nice big button that says "reply to list", and
another that says "reply" which sends to the poster. And in the menu
there is another "reply to all". All of them work nicely and as intended.

They do.
Way back in some previous century (or perhaps a galaxy far away, my memory
isn't
reliable in that regard) there was a version of Thunderbird that didn't.

Yes, reply to list was an addition at some point.

I can't imagine why someone would still be running software that old, given
all
the fixes and enhancements and security clean-ups that have happened since.

But one this I've learnt, there re some people around who hang on to old
software for a variety of reasons that seem ridiculous and ludicrous to the
rest
of us.

The problem is that if the sender adds an automatic "reply-to", and the
replier tries a "reply to sender", in order to send a private response,
it does not work, it goes to the list. One has to notice the problem and
manually edit the address.

Yes, but there are a lot more people who (a) make a mistake and hit 'reply-to'
rather than 'reply-to-list', and (b) it seems there's software that doesn't
have
a working 'reply-to-list' function.

But with your/Linda change, a private reply goes to the list, which is
worse.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.