Re: [opensuse] can't mount/open/use usb drive/stick/disk device on leap 42.2
On 2017-06-17 15:15, George from the tribe wrote:

I am a KDE user, though I do tend to complain about it. I would describe
my relationship with KDE as a "troubled marriage". We are getting
counseling (many on this list are my counselors in this relationship),
and KDE is gracious enough to not get annoyed when I sometimes flirt
with other partners, such as Gnome and LXDE.

Be that as it may, when I plug in a usb stick, it does not mount
automatically, but a dialog pops up offering me a chance to open the
stick in dolphin. If I click on that option, then the stick is
automatically mounted in /run/media/george/. It does not require root
permissions to mount it there.

However, if I choose to mount the stick in /mnt/ on the command line, I
have to be root to mount it. Why is that? I don't know.

It is impossible to mount media on the CLI without being root, or having
a very specific line in fstab.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.