Re: [opensuse] Epson Scanner V500 Isn't Detected
On 18/06/17 23:39, Mark Misulich wrote:
Hi,
I installed Opensuse 42.2 on a computer that I finished
building the other day. I am using KDE 5.8.6-7.1 as the
desktop environment. I am trying to install an Epson
Perfection V500 Photo Scanner that I have used for maybe 7 years
on my previous desktop computer using various Opensuse versions
starting with 12.something up to 42.2, with the Epson iscan
installation software for this scanner. The version of this software is
iscan-bundle-1.0.4.x64.rpm

But the scanner won't install on this computer using yast; here's the
details.

In yast in the Scanner Configuration window, it shows the
following:

Driver Scanner
epkowa No scanner recognized by this driver
Not Configured Epson Scanner USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON
Scanner] at libusb:001:015

epkowa is the driver I use for this scanner, and is supplied by the
iscan driver bundle. It has always recognized the scanner in the past.
I downloaded the latest version of the iscan driver bundle from Epson
and it installs all the required software to run the scanner using a
shell script.

If I try to configure the scanner using Yast2, it autoselects Epson
Perfection V500 Photo in the Scanner Models dialog box. I then click
"Next," and a dialog box informs me "Possibly Problematic Driver The
epkowa driver may cause problems on 64-bit x86_64 architecture.
Selecting "Continue," Yast does it's thing, and promptly brings me back
to the Scanner Configuration window with the same results as I have
shown above.

What I've tried:
1. Multiple tries of reinstalling the driver software via the shell
script.

2. Regressing to earlier versions of the driver software.

3. Trying the 32-bit architecture driver software .

4. Moving the USB cable on the computer from USB3 to USB2 ports

5. Disconnecting the Scanner USB cable from the USB Hub and connecting

it directly to the back of the computer, using both the USB3 and
USB2 ports.

In all cases, the scanner is not recognized. As a final note, yes, the
scanner power is on.

I would appreciate some help to get the scanner working.

Thanks, Mark

I don't know anything about Epson devices under Linux. But is the 'iscan driver bundle' different from this iscan package on OBS?
https://software.opensuse.org/package/iscan