[opensuse] Re: Where is default browser set? (& hope no one is logged in via WiFi)
Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* L A Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx> [06-13-17 15:36]:
Let me rephrase a previous Q --

When some program tries to show a URL, it invokes
your "default browser". How does it know what your
default browser is and where is that set?

Is it a symlink somewhere in your home directory,
or a text file with the browser name in it? Or what?

not knowing what desktop you are using and knowing that it may be
completely home-grown, in kde/plasma5 you set it with systemsettings5 -->
applications --> default applications --> web browser

in xfce it is something similar but not systemsettings5.
----
This is the case where I'm not using a desktop, but am
running a standalone X-application (like the LSI
disk-management GUI that runs under X11). When I click
on a link in an application (not under a desktop), it starts
a browser on the ssh-target system and displays it
via X on the ssh-source system, apparently using
information from:
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list )

To test the "xdg-open" command, I used
google's search page which opened in the background.
Nevertheless, in background, it used a bit over 9MB/s
to display the animation on it's search page -- not
a problem for me, but it does seem 80Mb/s might
be a stretch for somebody on WiFI.