Re: [opensuse] Re: Where is default browser set?
  • From: pit <P.Suetterlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2017 19:30:45 +0100
L A Walsh wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
EG: xdg-open 'http://www.freedesktop.org/'
---
That works on my system to bring up
FF on my linbox... So where does xdg-open look
and how can I tell it to open "foobar.sh" in ~/bin?

It tries several things. Just look at it, it's a shell script.

E.g., one of the options to set it is setting the environment variable
BROWSER.

I.e. that tells me something that uses "where
the default browser is set", but doesn't really tell
me where it is set. (maybe that firefox.desktop).
But even there, I have to figure out how "firefox.desktop"
gets turned into an app-execution.

Any application that gets executed from a DE menu is 'defined' in .desktop
files. Standard location for system ones would be /usr/share/applications,
and indeed
speedy:~% locate firefox.desktop
/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop

Same with several other associations in that
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list...

BTW, you could copy that firefox.desktop to ~/.local/share/applications and
make changes therein, that would override the system version.