Re: [opensuse] konsole
On 18/06/17 02:42, Anton Aylward wrote:
On 17/06/17 08:19 PM, Wols Lists wrote:
On 17/06/17 15:33, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Wols Lists <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [06-17-17 09:44]:
On 17/06/17 10:32, James Bunnell wrote:
I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is
supposed to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i
open it. i have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why
this is? thanks.

Seems to me the problem is you have both root and user konsoles together.
I find, whenever I su in a konsole, it remembers that and tries to run it
as root next time. It causes grief for a few logins until it goes away -
and even if I give it the root password it appears to do absolutely
nothing with it ...

Short answer: it looks like root konsoles are buggy.

or you have *some* configuration borked. I do not observe the problems you
describe. I rarely have reason to hunt for another console window rather
than utilizing the regular konsole and simply "su -". but I have never
opened <user> konsole and be asked to provide a password, in any of my many
years years on suse versions of linux.

Short answer: I don't like it when computers do weird things for no obvious
reason.

Granted.
But the reason may not be obvious to you or you may be making different
assumptions from the implementer.

I find that all the time when I'm compelled to use Windows!

Couldn't agree more :-)

I wouldn't be so quick to insist the "I'm right and the program is broken"
when
no-one else seems to have your problem. I'd work on the suggestions offered
and
try to determine in more details what the problem is, what the boundaries are,
even without "going under the hood".

I've managed to do that for a few decades without ever needed to refer to the
source code :-)

But what on earth can the reason be, to ask the user for the root
password, and then throw it away without ever apparently using it for
anything? That's what I call weird - and the sort of thing I would
expect from Windows, not linux.

To describe my setup, I leave ONE console open, usually with three or four
tabs. I regularly "su" in one or more of those tabs when I want access to
root.

Just our of interests, why do you "su" in one of the exiting user shells
rather
than "ctl-shift-T" and create a new root shell tab?

Because I never thought of doing it? Actually, from what people have
said in this thread, I think there are two very good reasons for not
doing it. Firstly, because I don't want to be hassled for the root
password every time I log in. And secondly, because I don't want to
leave a root shell lying around for anybody to have access to if I'm not
at the computer.

It's a multi-user home system, and security is there primarily to
prevent people stomping on other peoples' setup, not to actually secure
anything. The only thing I *am* paranoid about, is the root password, so
the system can protect itself against user error.

Hmm. Tomorrow I'll try your way and see if I have any difficulties.

When I log in, konsole may or may not ask me for the root password. It only
starts if I left a tab in root mode last session,

OK, I don't understand what you mean.
I'm presuming that you log in to KDE and from there start konsole.
So konsole is running under the ID you logged into KDE as.

Was that your own ID or as root?

How do you start konsole? From the menu of as a command line?

When I shut down my KDE session it shuts down konsole as well; I have,
always, 4
tabs, three regular shells and one root shell.

I always log in as me. And I never close my konsole, so when I log in
KDE restarts it for me. I shut down everything *except* konsole and
xosview, so they're always there waiting for me when I log in again.

As I said, the config is "bash -l" and "su -" so they are *all* as if login.

if I were to start "su -" from any shell, it doesn't matter whether it was a
shell session at a proper Vt or a konsole user tab, it would prompt me for a
password IF THAT SHELL WAS RUNNING AS A NON-ROOT USER.

Oh, unless I played around with settings in /etc/pam.d and /etc/group in a
very
specific manner that let me do things as root without the needs for password
or
using 'sudo'. But, even though that's documented, so you don't do 'under the
hood things', its not something you're likely to have done. And I'd recommend
you don't. And that I did once to see if it worked, and it did, but I'm not
doing it again. Sort of like pouring some whizz-bang chemical into your gas
tank so your takes of like a Kangaroo with a rocket up its ass.

I always prefer to leave things at the default settings if I can. It
makes things so much easier ...

But KDE seems to remember I've done a "su", ask me for the root
password, and then does nothing with it ...

but if I give it the root password it does nothing - I don't get a root tab.

Doing a 'su" or a "su -" in an existing shell won't give you a new tab.

you need to create a a new tab, and make it a root tab while your about it.

And it will keep on prompting for the password for the next few logins, even
if I don't su in a tab again ...

Of course, it remembers your settings.

As I say. It's weird. And to me inexplicable.

It may seem weired but it's no inexpecable. its logical, just not the logic
you
are presuming.

I just can't find any logic that makes sense :-)

I don't like it. (And I don't particularly want to waste time trying to track
down the cause. I suspect it's not remembering my config properly.)

It's remembering them 'properly' by the logic that the designer/coder put
there.
That this isn't the same assumptions that you're making is the issue.

I'm accepting the designers assumptions so its not a problem for me.
Nor, it seems, is it a problem for Patrick or some others.

This isn't about some absolute right vs absolute wrong.

Why not write to the designer/coder and explain your assumption and why you
think teh way tis working is wrong.
I've found FOSS coders are very willing to discuss and modify their work.

Usually, yes. As usual, time is the problem - I need time to dig, and
that's usually my problem. I'd love to, but finding time to concentrate
is a luxury :-(

Cheers,
Wol