Re: [opensuse] konsole
* Wols Lists <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [06-17-17 20:22]:
On 17/06/17 15:33, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Wols Lists <antlists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [06-17-17 09:44]:
On 17/06/17 10:32, James Bunnell wrote:
I have the regular super user konsole. but the konsole that is supposed
to be the regular konsole prompts for a password each time i open it. i
have tried the profile thing, no avail. any ideas as to why this is?
thanks.

Seems to me the problem is you have both root and user konsoles
together. I find, whenever I su in a konsole, it remembers that and
tries to run it as root next time. It causes grief for a few logins
until it goes away - and even if I give it the root password it appears
to do absolutely nothing with it ...

Short answer: it looks like root konsoles are buggy.

or you have *some* configuration borked. I do not observe the problems
you describe. I rarely have reason to hunt for another console window
rather than utilizing the regular konsole and simply "su -". but I have
never opened <user> konsole and be asked to provide a password, in any of
my many years years on suse versions of linux.

Short answer: I don't like it when computers do weird things for no
obvious reason.

To describe my setup, I leave ONE console open, usually with three or
four tabs. I regularly "su" in one or more of those tabs when I want
access to root.

When I log in, konsole may or may not ask me for the root password. It
only starts if I left a tab in root mode last session, but if I give it
the root password it does nothing - I don't get a root tab. And it will
keep on prompting for the password for the next few logins, even if I
don't su in a tab again ...

As I say. It's weird. And to me inexplicable. I don't like it. (And I
don't particularly want to waste time trying to track down the cause. I
suspect it's not remembering my config properly.)

explaining your setup and what you want is fine but did not lead to the
problem you experience and describe. you are the admin of your linux box
and you did something which you cannot remember that made a change to your
system which you do not like or want. do not blame the software or the
developers or .... the origin of your problem can be seen when you look
into the mirror.

you could always go to windows where the provider tells you what you can
do and how you can do it and receives much pay for channeling your efforts
to their advantage.

or you can try to systematically try and/or investigate the suggestions
provided here. the rest of the conversation about wants or don't wants
and like or dislikes only consume time and cause frustration and wasted
efforts.

sorry I must stop now, I do not wish to be as verbose as ....