Re: [opensuse] touchpad fault
  • From: Peter Suetterlin <P.Suetterlin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 16:05:00 +0100
George from the tribe wrote:

I found this out also. If I run this command, here is what I get:
# modprobe -r psmouse ; modprobe psmouse
modprobe: FATAL: Module psmouse is builtin.

The psmouse.ko file does not exist. So how can it be built in to the kernel
if it doesn't exist?

When configuring the kernel, for many drivers you have the option to compile
them fixed into the kernel OR as a module. Those compiled into the kernel of
course have no .ko in /lib/modules.....
The names in modules.builtin refer to the path the .ko file WOULD have if it
were a loadable module.