Re: [opensuse] multiple kernels?
On 06/14/2017 01:07 PM, Anton Aylward wrote:
I also look toe the fabulous documentation that ARCH produces, which I often
have to read and interpret when the equivalent for Suse is missing.

Maybe a change is in order.

Nah,

Just mix and match as your needs require. I've run my servers on Arch since
(2009?) I have a mix of drives for my laptop both openSuSE and Arch (and a
SlackWare too). I have Debian on the Raspberry and Ubuntu in Win10, After
running SuSE/openSuSE, I ran Arch for the daily driver with Trinity as the
desktop until I ran out of time to continue fighting gcc/glibc changes as the
sole builder of Trinity on Arch. Even when I was driving on Arch, I always had
an openSuSE drive for the daily driver as well. When I ran out of time to
build TDE, I went back to suse and have been absolutely satisfied and
impressed with the KDE3 build and the gradual transition to systemd (even
though it still takes 30 seconds for my wireless to initialize on boot). I've
kept all the servers on Arch, for the primary benefit of the rolling release
and never having to set aside a block of time to upgrade.

I don't think I've missed any suse installs (except by choice of not needing
to reload for the release +1) If I recall it started with 7.0 (Air), after
coming from Mandy when 7.0 was released, then 8.0, 8.2, 9.0, 9.2 (that was the
time when .odd were primarily development and .even the releases), but then
10.0, 10.3 (.odd no longer meant development), 11.0, 11.4, 13.1, 42.2 (the
jump doesn't indicate awayness, just some screwball decision to jump on the
'my number is bigger bandwagon' -- no doubt the brainchild of a 20-something)

Since 11.0 was May 2008, I started with Arch about 6 months later (that is
one thing I *can* thank KDE4 for). And since then, the versions I've run of
Arch are -- just Arch...

Both have strengths and weaknesses. One of SuSE's strength has always been
the community -- this list. While volume (and new ringed development
strategies) dictated the split from the true community opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
list to opensuse-{factory,packaging,...,younameit}, opensuse wins that
category hands down. (the arch mailing list is intentionally low-volume,
user-help, which is good, is handled in their forum)

If I have new hardware, need current upstream release software or need to
read a current well-written reference on how to use or configure, in depth,
package Y, Arch wins out. For point and click install and management tools,
opensuse shines. If you do it from the cli, there is a lot to be said for the
Arch pacman, makepkg, minimalist KISS philosophy.

Throw in the fact that apt-get and dpkg are more than usable as well on
Debian and Ubuntu, you round out the mix.

Under the hood, there isn't a whole lot of difference in what Linux is. It
just boils down to the distro philosophy, the community, and talented
developers to keep a firm hand on the wheel and keep things moving forward.
Even VMware is just Linux under the hood (and talk about older kernels...).

So, time for a change? -- no... Time to broaden your Linux horizons --
that's always a good bet ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.