Re: [opensuse] multiple kernels?
On 06/14/2017 04:36 AM, Anton Aylward wrote:
Skylake didn't work well at all until 4.9, and only really came into its
own in 4.10. There are a boat load of new machines coming out with that
chipset.
Yes, that too.
It makes me wonder how many people try installing what amounts to an older
kernel from a distribution DVD on a bleeding edge laptop only to have multiple
cascading !FAIL!s becuase of reason like this.

Quit a few from my reading the Manjaro forums for the last year. And you are
right the fails are usually of a cascading nature where the old LTS kernel
works, but cooling, or Video, or shutdown etc. issues end up forcing a kernel
swap.

One of the very nice things about Manjaro (an arch derivative) is the ease of
switching kernels, and switching back again.

Most of us do that so rarely that we would be bound to hork it up, but
their utility does all the steps, as well as deletion of kernels you no
longer want.

Of course, that made it so easy that they now provide a boatload of kernels,
and they are begging people to get off the EOL kernels so they can drop them.
They ride on Arch coattails of course - whereas Leap rides on SLES which
has no strong business interest in rushing to the latest kernels or the
latest hardware.