Re: [opensuse] multiple kernels?
On 12/06/17 09:27 PM, John Andersen wrote:
On 06/12/2017 06:02 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
I doubt you have to worry about 42.3 bringing in a kernel newer than 4.4. 4.4
has been in 42.3 since its inception near the subsequently released LTS
kernel
4.9, which is already 6 months old, and the next LTS kernel almost certainly
won't happen until long after 42.3 is gold.

I'm not worried about it, I'm sort of waiting for it.

There are quite a few fixes newer kernels that would warrant NOT releasing
42.3 with only 4.4 kernel, putting opensuse yet another year behind the curve.

+1

Skylake didn't work well at all until 4.9, and only really came into its
own in 4.10. There are a boat load of new machines coming out with that
chipset.

Yes, that too.
It makes me wonder how many people try installing what amounts to an older
kernel from a distribution DVD on a bleeding edge laptop only to have multiple
cascading !FAIL!s becuase of reason like this.

If there were some officially maintained alternate kernels that would
be a great alternative.

How "official" is
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/
Who is behind it?