Re: [opensuse] multiple kernels?
On 12/06/17 08:23 PM, John Andersen wrote:
On 06/12/2017 04:35 PM, George from the tribe wrote:
I didn't know that zypper keeps all installed kernels

I believe there is a setting someplace to tell it how many kernels to save.
I believe someone upstream in this thread mentioned checking that setting to
be sure the system is only maintaining the number of kernels you asked for.

Your statement there actually brings up an interesting point. Since I am
using the kernel:stable repository, is it better to keep it always
updating the kernel from that repository?

I don't know anything about that repository. It looks like it refers to
Opensuse Build Service, but other than that I don't know where those kernels
come from. You would not expect to see a kernel every week. Even on a
rolling release they don't come that fast.

Regular readers of my posts, both of them, will recall that i use
Kernel_Standard.
It is at http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/

I may not be the most extreme of users, batting around the nVidia and AMD
blobs, but I'm reasonably blooded minded in my expectations of a kernel and do
read the CVEs and realise that the up to date kernels not only have features,
improvement, but also bug patches.

For a while there, yes, the patches were comming a few a week, but we now seem
back to one or two a month.

I was looking for kernel 4.11 for Opensuse earlier this month but decided to
hold off till 42.3 and see what kernel that brings. (There are some
interesting features in 4.11 with regard to swap on SSDs).

Yes, that area has seen some advancements in the last few months and the
culmination seems impressive enough to tempt me to to getting one.

Why hold off? Because right now this KDE/Plasma5 is one of the best versions
I've see> in a long time. Stable as a rock, and fast. If we get 5.10 in
42.2 along with QT 5.9 it will be even faster.

I'm unclear if, or how I might be running KDE/Plasma5.

Perhaps someone else can weigh in on the "officialness" of that particular
repository.

All I know is that its not given me any problems and I'm not a 'gracious' user.