Re: [opensuse] mdadm raid problem
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 22:04:23 +0100, Wols Lists wrote:
On 08/06/17 11:20, Istvan Gabor wrote:
But the array is always assembled as /dev/md127 and not
to the name I specify:

mdadm -A -U uuid /dev/md111 /dev/sdc11
mdadm: /dev/md111 assembled from 1 drive - need all 2 to start it (use
--run to insist).

mdadm -D /dev/md111
mdadm: cannot open /dev/md111: No such file or directory

cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md127 : inactive sdc11[2](S)
62918468 blocks super 1.0

Is this a bug?
How can I assemble the array as md111 or whatever I specify?

You can't.

Thanks.
I can if I assemble and run the array in one command, that is
I use -A -R.

That's why the recommended way now is to use array names, not numbers,
eg /dev/md/root, /dev/md/home.

It's like /dev/sdX and UUIDs, array numbers are now (normally) assigned
sequentially from 127 in reverse order. If you want a unique
non-changing id of some sort, you have to either use the md-UUID, or a
name of your choice.

Thanks, I did not know this. I'll try to remember it.

Oh - and if you want to look at the second (kicked off) drive, I think
you did it the right way. You have to either stop the original array, or
move the drive you want to look at to another machine.

Note that if the array has bitmaps enabled (the default nowadays), when
you re-add the drive, it knows what it needs to sync so it won't sync
the entire disk - a rather slow option on today's multi-terabyte
drives... :-)

I'll look into this too.

Thanks again,

Istvan