Re: [opensuse] multiple kernels?
  • From: Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2017 12:38:10 +0200
Op dinsdag 13 juni 2017 02:23:11 CEST schreef John Andersen:
On 06/12/2017 04:35 PM, George from the tribe wrote:
I didn't know that zypper keeps all installed kernels

I believe there is a setting someplace to tell it how many kernels to save.
I believe someone upstream in this thread mentioned checking that setting to
be sure the system is only maintaining the number of kernels you asked for.

Your statement there actually brings up an interesting point. Since I am
using the kernel:stable repository, is it better to keep it always
updating the kernel from that repository?
I don't know anything about that repository. It looks like it refers to
Opensuse Build Service, but other than that I don't know where those
kernels come from.

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/

You would not expect to see a kernel every week. Even
on a rolling release they don't come that fast.

They do, at least new packages, in Tumbleweed.

I was looking for kernel 4.11 for Opensuse earlier this month but decided to
hold off till 42.3 and see what kernel that brings. (There are some
interesting features in 4.11 with regard to swap on SSDs).

Leap 42.3 is not going to have kernel 4.11 .

Why hold off?
Because right now this KDE/Plasma5 is one of the best versions I've seen in
a long time. Stable as a rock, and fast. If we get 5.10 in 42.2 along
with QT 5.9 it will be even faster.

Perhaps someone else can weigh in on the "officialness" of that particular
repository.

The best suggestion IMO always has been to stick to the distribution repos,
add only Packman if you use a desktop and play media.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

openSUSE Board Member
openSUSE Forums Team