Re: [opensuse] multiple kernels?
On 06/12/2017 07:23 PM, John Andersen wrote:
On 06/12/2017 04:35 PM, George from the tribe wrote:
I didn't know that zypper keeps all installed kernels

I believe there is a setting someplace to tell it how many kernels to save.
I believe someone upstream in this thread mentioned checking that setting to be
sure the
system is only maintaining the number of kernels you asked for.

Your statement there actually brings up an interesting point. Since I am using
the kernel:stable repository, is it better to keep it always updating the
kernel from that repository?

I don't know anything about that repository. It looks like it refers to
Opensuse Build Service, but
other than that I don't know where those kernels come from. You would not
expect to see a kernel
every week. Even on a rolling release they don't come that fast.

I was looking for kernel 4.11 for Opensuse earlier this month but decided to
hold off till 42.3
and see what kernel that brings. (There are some interesting features in 4.11
with regard to swap
on SSDs). Why hold off? Because right now this KDE/Plasma5 is one of the best
versions I've seen
in a long time. Stable as a rock, and fast. If we get 5.10 in 42.2 along with
QT 5.9 it will
be even faster.

Perhaps someone else can weigh in on the "officialness" of that particular
repository.

I am glad to know that it has been stable for you, as that means that I only need to figure out where mine is not configured correctly and then it will work. I love KDE too for its features, but on my laptop, home desktop, and work desktop, I consistently have the kwin crash bug cause me problems. It is only on my laptop that I am using the advanced kernel, but that bug remains on the other 2 machines.

--
George
Box: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB