Re: [opensuse] touchpad fault
On 06/12/2017 08:34 PM, John Andersen wrote:
On 06/12/2017 06:26 PM, George from the tribe wrote:
On new Dell Inspiron 15 5576, the touchpad stops working a few seconds after
reaching the display
manager. In fact, what I have figured out is, that on reboot, if I use the
mouse and don't touch the
touchpad, it will work. Once I use the touchpad, it lasts about 3 seconds and
then stops working.

I found this message in the journalctl, and the fault time exactly corresponds
with when the
touchpad stopped working:

Pretty sure this is by design.

If you have a mouse, the touchpad can become a liability. (cursor jumping from
palm
brushes go unnoticed and typists hork over documents.

A lot of desktop environments now insert a capability to automatically turn off
the touchpad if a mouse is detected. Others only disable the touchpad while
typing
and for X milliseconds after typing stops.

That DE you love to hate (KDE) has this as a choice Settings / configure
desktop / input devices /
touchpad / enable-disable

In this case those buttons have no effect. Whether or not I have the disable-touchpad-when-mouse-is-plugged-in button checked, the touchpad is broken. I think the "input0 lost sync at byte 6" is an indication of some kind of fault. When I unplug my regular mouse, the touchpad is still not working.

--
George
Box: 42.2 | KDE Plasma 5.8 | AMD Phenom IIX4 | 64 | 32GB