Re: [opensuse] touchpad fault
On 06/12/2017 08:34 PM, John Andersen wrote:
On 06/12/2017 06:26 PM, George from the tribe wrote:
On new Dell Inspiron 15 5576, the touchpad stops working a few seconds after
reaching the display
manager. In fact, what I have figured out is, that on reboot, if I use the
mouse and don't touch the
touchpad, it will work. Once I use the touchpad, it lasts about 3 seconds
and then stops working.

I found this message in the journalctl, and the fault time exactly
corresponds with when the
touchpad stopped working:

Pretty sure this is by design.

If you have a mouse, the touchpad can become a liability. (cursor jumping
from palm
brushes go unnoticed and typists hork over documents.

A lot of desktop environments now insert a capability to automatically turn
off
the touchpad if a mouse is detected. Others only disable the touchpad while
typing
and for X milliseconds after typing stops.

That DE you love to hate (KDE) has this as a choice Settings / configure
desktop / input devices /
touchpad / enable-disable

I've actually tamed the touchpad with

syndaemon -d -k -R -p /usr/local/tmp/david/syndaemon.pid

You can change the idle time with -i, but I've found the default works as well
as just about anything else (it's between 1 & 2 sec.)

With KDE, I just load it via the Autostart folder. I write the PID to the lock
file and actually call syndaemon from a script that checks the PID to prevent
multiple launches.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.