Re: [opensuse] touchpad fault
On 06/12/2017 06:26 PM, George from the tribe wrote:
On new Dell Inspiron 15 5576, the touchpad stops working a few seconds after
reaching the display
manager. In fact, what I have figured out is, that on reboot, if I use the
mouse and don't touch the
touchpad, it will work. Once I use the touchpad, it lasts about 3 seconds and
then stops working.

I found this message in the journalctl, and the fault time exactly
corresponds with when the
touchpad stopped working:

Pretty sure this is by design.

If you have a mouse, the touchpad can become a liability. (cursor jumping from
palm
brushes go unnoticed and typists hork over documents.

A lot of desktop environments now insert a capability to automatically turn off
the touchpad if a mouse is detected. Others only disable the touchpad while
typing
and for X milliseconds after typing stops.

That DE you love to hate (KDE) has this as a choice Settings / configure
desktop / input devices /
touchpad / enable-disable