[opensuse] Re: Install a network dongle driver/module properly
On 11 June 2017 at 22:18, Mikhail Ramendik <mr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I need to make this module load at startup (ideally, also when the
device is inserted - but as this is a desktop machine, I am happy
enough to keep the device in permanently). And I need to configure it
in YaST.

There is the Add button in the YaST device list. But it requires the
name of the module - so I presume I need to put mt7610u.ko in the
right place. I am also not sure at all whether this is the correct
next step, anyway.

So what to I do now?

Here is what I eventually did.

I copied mt7610u.ko
/lib/modules/4.4.70-18.9-default/kernel/drivers/usb/misc . And I added
"install mt7610u" in /etc/modprobe.d/99-local.conf (and also
blacklisted the old card).

When I rebooted, the new dongle was wlan0 and I could use yast to
configure it. There were issues with 5 GHz networks but they seem to
be resolved now.

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik