Re: [opensuse] multiple kernels?
In data lunedì 12 giugno 2017 07:14:43 CEST, George from the tribe ha scritto:
Is this a problem? I noticed this when I was running an update on my
smaller laptop:

-----------------------
# zypper up
Reading installed packages...

The following 4 package updates will NOT be installed:
audacity flac libFLAC++6 libFLAC8

The following 2 NEW packages are going to be installed:
kernel-devel-4.4.70-18.9.1 kernel-source-4.4.70-18.9.1
----------------------

I was thinking, I thought I had kernel 4.11 from the kernel:stable repo,
as that is what I have been using on this laptop. So, I ran this:

----------------------
george@tribetrekDell:~> uname -r
4.11.3-1.g7262353-default
george@tribetrekDell:~> rpm -q kernel-devel
kernel-devel-4.7.6-1.1.gfb37fcc.noarch
kernel-devel-4.7.5-3.1.ge3f5518.noarch
kernel-devel-4.4.62-18.6.1.noarch
kernel-devel-4.11.3-1.1.g7262353.noarch
george@tribetrekDell:~> rpm -q kernel-default
kernel-default-4.7.5-3.1.ge3f5518.x86_64
kernel-default-4.11.3-1.1.g7262353.x86_64
----------------------

Sure enough, I am running kernel 4.11, but I have packages for multiple
kernels installed, and the update packages that zypper is saying it is
going to install are not even matching to the kernel I am using.

Maybe this is contributing to why this system seems so unstable when I
am running KDE?

Any ideas on why these multiple kernel packages are installed, and
possibly, how to fix? I assumed that when updates have been made in the
past, the dependencies features should have removed old packages. I only
use zypper up to update my system.

Just a guess, but check in journal if "purge kernel" is working. I had that on
the beta: it would not purge so, after a while I had a lot of versions
installed, root was full and I needed to delete by hand.