Re: [opensuse] Re: Playing MP3 without Packman workaround

On 11/06/2017 14:29, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-06-11 12:40, Richmond wrote:
Oliver Kurz <okurz@xxxxxxx> writes:

ffmpeg can be compiled differently. By default within openSUSE Leap up to now
ffmpeg is compiled without binding to mp3 support because of license
restrictions. The patents for mp3 have been expired after release of openSUSE
Leap 42.2 so mp3 support within the OSS/free repository could not be provided.
However openSUSE Tumbleweed is nearly there: https://news.opensuse.org/
2017/06/08/tumbleweed-snapshots-pick-up-pace/
And so might be upcoming versions of openSUSE Leap.

I see. Thanks. So we just have to wait for software to catch up.

After posting I discovered that firefox is able to play
mp3. Although I don't know if the decoder was distributed, or downloaded
on the fly.

AFAIK, mp3 can be played in openSUSE since years using fluendo
(GStreamer), even without packman. For other things, you had to purchase
the appropriate codec, or download the packman equivalent.
Mp3 and ac3 decoding has been enabled in 42.2 via updates that fixed
security problems, if your system is up to date you should have basic mp3 playing abilities. Good news MPEG-2/1 patents expire at the beginning of next year and the mp3 encoding patent expires in December.
Dave P