Re: [opensuse] Simultaneous output to SPDIF and analog
12.06.2017 03:58, Mikhail Ramendik пишет:
Hello,

I have an ASRock B75 Pro3-M Motherboard. The motherboard has an
optical SPDIF output connector. I have a fitting cable and an audio
receiver (amplifier). So I have switched the profile in volume
settings > audio volume > configuration to IEC958 and now it works.

However, I would like to be able to use earphones connected to the
computer as well. (I don't currently have the right earphone connector
for the receiver).

You should be able to forward input stream to multiple outputs using
module-combine-sink

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Modules/#index11h3

Probably this is what various GUI front-ends do.

I have enabled "add virtual device for simultaneous output on all
local sound cards", but it does not seem to do anything except adding
another volume control for the same IEC958 output. The analog output
is silent.

I think this is different problem. You need to unmute each individual
sink; I'd check with "pacmd list-sinks" what current state is. E.g. I
have internal audio muted by default, so

bor@bor-Latitude-E5450:~$ pacmd list-sinks
2 sink(s) available.
index: 0
name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_03.0.hdmi-stereo>
muted: no
* index: 1
name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo>
muted: yes

So two output channels, one of them is muted. Now let's add combined sink

$ pacmd load-module module-combine-sink
slaves=alsa_output.pci-0000_00_03.0.hdmi-stereo,alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1b.0.analog-stereo

This does create the third one, but each volume is still independent. If
I change volume or muted state on the combined sink, it does not change
volume/muted state on analog output

index: 2
name: <combined>
muted: no

I do not know how/if you can tell PA to manage slaves volume based on
combined sink volume. OTOH as output devices could be very different,
being able to control them individually looks like a feature.