Re: [opensuse] Re: Playing MP3 without Packman workaround
On 2017-06-11 12:40, Richmond wrote:
Oliver Kurz <okurz@xxxxxxx> writes:

ffmpeg can be compiled differently. By default within openSUSE Leap up to
now
ffmpeg is compiled without binding to mp3 support because of license
restrictions. The patents for mp3 have been expired after release of
openSUSE
Leap 42.2 so mp3 support within the OSS/free repository could not be
provided.
However openSUSE Tumbleweed is nearly there: https://news.opensuse.org/
2017/06/08/tumbleweed-snapshots-pick-up-pace/
And so might be upcoming versions of openSUSE Leap.

I see. Thanks. So we just have to wait for software to catch up.

After posting I discovered that firefox is able to play
mp3. Although I don't know if the decoder was distributed, or downloaded
on the fly.

AFAIK, mp3 can be played in openSUSE since years using fluendo
(GStreamer), even without packman. For other things, you had to purchase
the appropriate codec, or download the packman equivalent.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.