Re: [opensuse] Playing MP3 without Packman workaround
Hi,

very good questions you have.

On Sunday, 11 June 2017 00:59:32 CEST Richmond wrote:
I have installed opensuse 42.2 but no additional repositories apart from
skype.

By installing ffmpeg I am able to convert an mp3 into flac, or ogg, and
then play it using moc or vlc.

There is a difference between encoding and decoding. And different licenses
apply.

So why can't I play these files directly? or rather why aren't the
codecs free and included in the main repository? I guess it is not a
licensing issue because the license restrictions on mp3 have expired for
some time in Europe, and now in the USA too.

(Or if it is a licensing issue, how is ffmpeg in the main repo?)

ffmpeg can be compiled differently. By default within openSUSE Leap up to now
ffmpeg is compiled without binding to mp3 support because of license
restrictions. The patents for mp3 have been expired after release of openSUSE
Leap 42.2 so mp3 support within the OSS/free repository could not be provided.
However openSUSE Tumbleweed is nearly there: https://news.opensuse.org/
2017/06/08/tumbleweed-snapshots-pick-up-pace/
And so might be upcoming versions of openSUSE Leap.