[opensuse] Playing MP3 without Packman workaround
I have installed opensuse 42.2 but no additional repositories apart from
skype.

By installing ffmpeg I am able to convert an mp3 into flac, or ogg, and
then play it using moc or vlc.

So why can't I play these files directly? or rather why aren't the
codecs free and included in the main repository? I guess it is not a
licensing issue because the license restrictions on mp3 have expired for
some time in Europe, and now in the USA too.

(Or if it is a licensing issue, how is ffmpeg in the main repo?)

"VLC could not decode the format "mpga" (MPEG Audio layer 1/2)"