Re: [opensuse] PC fails to resume after suspend sometimes
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 14:49:31 +0200

On 2017-06-09 12:00, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 03:48:58 +0200
"Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

The last one, thus "systemctl hybrid-sleep" as root. As user it
asks for password if required.

The thing goes through the motions of hibernate to disk, but then
suspends instead. If things go normal, tap a key and you are there
instantly. If battery fails, you boot instead out of hibernation,
so it acts as a failsafe.

Thanks but doesn't that command actually put the system to sleep?
What I would need is some way to configure the system so that when
it decides to go to sleep, it chooses hybrid sleep.

Yes, the final state you get when calling "systemctl hybrid-sleep" is
sleep, right.

If XFCE doesn't show "hybrid-sleep" as a target it is a problem.
Create a bugzilla about that.

Well, I'd like to understand things better than that first.

I just tried to retrieve the source for xfce4-power-manager but zypper
wants to install 32 new packages as well. WTF! I just want the source.
It wants to install something called libgarcon-1-0 for example, which I
don't have installed at the moment so is clearly not necessary for the
XFCE power manager, which doesn't have a menu. But even if it was
necessary, me deciding I want to read some code doesn't mean I want a
whole bunch of other stuff I didn't ask for. Sorry, rant over, not your
fault.

I've downloaded the src rpm from the mirror but I've idea how to now
install it.

Meanwhile, you have to call it from the command line

The whole point is that the system should power down when I am NOT
there, not when I am!

- what is what I
do, anyway: the hibernate menu in XFCE doesn't work for me. If there
are terminals opened by other users it fails. Worse, the screensaver
locks the screen, then it asks for root password, but behind the
black screen, so I never see it, and the machine does not hibernate.
This is a long standing bug.

Dunno, it works fine for me, except the wrong target.

It seems to be difficult to find a man page for systemctl?

'man systemctl' works here.

Ah yes, never thought to try that :) Not very helpful really. I suppose
what I need is an idiot's guide.

Or some other method of controlling the system configuration to set
hybrid-sleep as the target. Does nobody else use this?