Re: [opensuse] PC fails to resume after suspend sometimes
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 03:48:58 +0200

On 2017-06-08 16:09, Dave Howorth wrote:
On Thu, 8 Jun 2017 14:03:32 +0200
"Carlos E. R." <> wrote:

However... suspend on desktops is little tested, IMO. It is better
to use hibernate (to disk). In your case, I would try hybrid
mode.

Thanks. Hmm, seemed likely to me that there were more moving parts
to go wrong in hibernating to disk ...

I use it (hibernate to disk) a lot, I find it more reliable that
suspend.

I know very little about power management, I just use the XFCE Pwer
Manager GUI. There's no 'hybrid' offered there?

Telcontar:~ # systemctl h[tab][tab]
halt help hibernate hybrid-sleep
Telcontar:~ # systemctl h

The last one, thus "systemctl hybrid-sleep" as root. As user it asks
for password if required.

The thing goes through the motions of hibernate to disk, but then
suspends instead. If things go normal, tap a key and you are there
instantly. If battery fails, you boot instead out of hibernation, so
it acts as a failsafe.

Thanks but doesn't that command actually put the system to sleep? What I
would need is some way to configure the system so that when it decides
to go to sleep, it chooses hybrid sleep.

It seems to be difficult to find a man page for systemctl?

This is a desktop BTW, so there's no battery.