Re: [opensuse] Re: File delete permissions.
On 2017-06-09 01:10, L A Walsh wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
cer@Isengard:~/Fusion/Videos/Crossing Jordan/Temporada 1> l p*mpeg
- -rw-r--r-- 1 cer-g root 0 Jun 8 19:50 p.mpeg
- -rw-r--r-- 1 cer-g root 0 Jun 8 19:50 p4.mpeg
cer@Isengard:~/Fusion/Videos/Crossing Jordan/Temporada 1> rm p.mpeg
rm: remove write-protected regular empty file 'p.mpeg'? n
cer@Isengard:~/Fusion/Videos/Crossing Jordan/Temporada 1>
---
What is 'l'?

alias l='ls -alF'

I did not create that, SuSE did.

See? 'rm' doubts and asks.
However, 'mc' doesn't ask and goes ahead, it happily deletes a file
that is not mine.
---
Indeed:
mc
-bash: mc: command not found

What is 'mc'? (midnight commander?

Yes.

Other file browser might do the same thing, I haven't tested.

I thought that the 'w' permission was needed to delete a file, but no.
Is there some way I can negate user "cer" permission to delete a file?
No, not sticky, it doesn't work.
---
'w' applies to the content of the object it is set on, allowing
write to _that_ object. "Filenames" are 'content" inside a directory
(filenames that point to their own content -- the content of the file).

So, I would have to change the permissions of the directory. I can't do
that. :-(

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.